The Government has published guidance documents which the school has used to prepare for opening. The main guidance can be found at this link: Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance on reducing the risks in schools – gov.scot (www.gov.scot)
We use Government guidance, alongside Aberdeenshire advice and risk assessments to organise school procedures to reduce risk of the spread of COVID-19. Procedures for Towie are summarised below.
Preparing for School
If you or your child are showing any of the symptoms of COVID-19. please follow the national guidance.
If you are in any doubt about your child showing any possible symptoms of COVID-19, then your child must not attend school.
Items from home:
- The staff will be using the outdoor space more regularly than usual to support learning, so please ensure your children come with suitable clothing such as a waterproof jacket, waterproof over-trousers, and outdoor boots or wellies. It is even more important than normal for all clothing to be labelled, particularly sweatshirts. Please also ensure your child brings indoor shoes to change into.
- It would be helpful if the children have only one bag that they can keep everything in.
- All primary children should bring one large water bottle, to reduce the need to refill so often.
- Parents are now allowed to enter the school building.
Drop-off, collection & buses:
- Now that restrictions have reduced, all pupils can be dropped off and collected at the main gate.
- Nursery parents can bring their child to the 2nd green gate just outside nursery at drop-off time.
- If your child begins to show symptoms at school, we will isolate them (with support) and contact you to pick them up – this must be done as promptly as possible to minimise transmission risk;
- Transport will be running as normal – masks are no longer required for primary aged children traveling on school transport.
All curricular areas will now run as normal:
- PE will be held outside most of the time, however we can now hold PE inside again;
- Staff will continue to be encouraged to make use of the outdoors for learning whenever possible;
- Singing and performance can take place again.
Hygiene remains a priority:
- The children will use hand sanitiser on entry to the school and then wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water before entering class;
- Pupils will regularly wash their hands – at transitional times such as break times, lunch (before and after eating), using the toilet, going outside, and entering the building;
- Play resources will be cleaned with high frequency;
- Pupils do not have to socially distance from each other in school and we no longer have bubbles in school;
- All primary children will eat in the canteen together, however they will have separate areas to sit, and windows will be opened to increase airflow;
- Children can mix and play together in all areas of the playground at break time and lunchtime.
- Pupils do not typically need to wear masks in the classroom.
Arrangements for Staff
PPE will be used by staff when:
- Dealing with a symptomatic child;
- Administering first aid;
- Cleaning surfaces and equipment in nursery and primary classrooms;
- When supporting with lunches.
- Primary teaching staff are not required to wear masks when teaching in their own classroom, but may choose to wear one.
If you have any questions or concerns, then please get in contact and we will be happy to speak with you. Be assured that the staff team is ready to support you and your child, and we remain flexible in our approaches, in order to get it right for every child.
For more detailed information, please refer to our updated risk assessments.